The Pros and Cons of a Memory Foam Mattress
Last Updated on February 22, 2024
Are you aware that newly purchased mattresses emit “off gassing”? This term refers to the chemical-based odor that emanates from a newly purchased mattress. An example of this is walking down the cleaning product aisle at a store. Although all the bleach and cleaning supplies are sealed, you can still smell it. That is the “off gassing” also referred to as “out gassing”. In effect, the wrong mattress can potentially harm users every time they get under the covers.
1. The main reason memory foam mattresses have become so popular is because of their comfort factor. It conforms to your body and reduces pressure on your spine, which means you get the best rest possible.
2. Memory foam mattresses respond to heat and pressure to reduce pressure point problems. This means that your spine, neck and hips are realigned, evenly distributing body weight and effectively correcting a poor sleeping posture.
3. Long-term use has been shown to reduce chronic back and neck pain.
4. It also has a positive effect on chronic respiratory problems as it eases breathing during sleep.
5. Memory foam mattresses are made from materials that promote good health, they are hypoallergenic and dust mite-resistant - great for people who have respiratory problems or who are allergy sensitive.
6. It is quiet, no squeaks or creaks, and is perfect for those who sleep next to a restless partner because there is no transfer of movement so you can have a night of uninterrupted sleep.
7. There is very little maintenance needed for a memory foam mattress. You never need to turn or flip them and there is no sagging. Most good quality mattresses also come with a very generous warranty with anything between 10 and 25 years.
1. Memory foam mattresses can be quite heavy. However, because you don't need to turn them this should not pose a huge problem.
2. They have been known to be hotter than normal mattresses because they cradle your body and the dense foam retains heat. But with new cooler open cell and gel technologies, people are experiencing less and less of this.
3. In hot climates the mattress may be softer than expected and in cold climates it may be harder than expected. However, thanks to central heating and cooling systems, most households run at a temperature perfect for the mattress to be neither too soft nor too hard.
4. Some people have complained of an odor from the mattresses. This problem occurs when they haven't been aired properly.
5. The price of name brand memory foam mattresses may put many people off. On the other hand, the price of the mattress is usually directly related to its quality. A memory foam mattress may be more expensive than a regular mattress but it is better for your body and it lasts a lot longer.
6. Some people complain that they don't feel the support they need from their mattress. This could be due to two things - either they purchased a low quality memory foam mattress or the other underlying materials that should offer the support are of inferior quality. This is why it is important that you know all the specifications of the mattress (such as the rebound rate, density, certifications, and all materials used).
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More